Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Music Review: "How Freedom Sounds" by Red State Update
Because I am "Red State - all the way!" as Dunlap likes to call those of us who can't get enough of Jackie and Dunlap, I was privileged enough to get my hands on a copy of "How Freedom Sounds" a week ago. I have been listening to it nonstop since it arrived, and I have the following review for your listening pleasure:
OVERALL REVIEW (Scale of 1 to 10): 7.9
"How Freedom Sounds" is not what I expected. There are more comedic routines (as with their YouTube bits that I routinely embed here at VOLCon) than songs, which creates some funny moments, for sure. However, like reviewer Sharron Cobb, I would have preferred more songs. Why? Because some of the songs are daggone good. Seriously. Of particular note:
- "Red State State of Mind" - An awesome song - the best on the album. Better than anything they play on country radio, for sure. Don't tell anybody, but Jackie has vocal talent.
- "If I Was You" - The classic American drinking song. Like "Red State State of Mind," this is another song that should get some radio play.
- "Get the Hell Outta My Store, Hippie" - A funny song with vocals by Jackie. I'm trying to have our tech guy at the firm rig our alarm to play this song on command, sort of a moonbat prevention alarm. Some of the lyrics - "Pro-choice sticker on her Prius shows/She gets mileage, can't keep her legs closed" - are priceless.
- "Iraq (I Don't Wanna Go)" - Another catchy tune, this one sung by Dunlap. How catchy is it? I've heard Angela singing it around the office the past few days, and she hasn't been in my car much this past week. It's kinda like that Feist song for the IPhones - you can't get this song out of your head.
- "Simple Man" - Jackie's version of this Lynyrd Skynyrd classic is fantastic. However, the rap by Dunlap in the middle - well, Eminem he is not.
This is a fun album, no question. For the second album, I hope for a few more songs (like the classic "Hello, Joe Biden," embedded below with warning for adult language) instead of skits. I highly recommend purchasing it (you can do so at RedStateUpdate.com), because if you don't, the terrorists (and Miley Cyrus) win.
And nobody wants that.
I hope the next cd is all song, and they put out an accompanying DVD of their routines.