Monday, May 05, 2008

 

Getting to Know Chuck Baldwin, Constitution Party Nominee for President

For the first time, I am intrigued by the Constitution Party's nominee for President of the United States. Although the Constitution Party is the third-largest party in the U.S., none of the previous nominees has tickled my fancy enough to turn from the Republican Party's respective nominee. Since the GOP ignored its conservative base and picked a leading RINO as its nominee for 2008, circumstances are different now - and perhaps the Constitution Party's nominee is a bit different.

First, I read Chuck Baldwin's essay on what he plans to do if he were elected President. As a conservative, it's hard to find much with which to disagree in that essay. I am curious as to how Baldwin plans to keep the government solvent by repealing the federal income tax and not resting on a heavy VAT or national sales tax. I'm sure that there is some sort of economic plan to keep a more limited government solvent, but it's not referred to in this particular essay. I'm also not convinced that shifting oil dependence from foreign sources to domestic sources solves anything over the long haul, either.

Second, I listened to Chuck Baldwin's acceptance speech at the Constitution Party's convention in St. Louis, embedded below.



Admittedly, it is early, but it seems to me that if you liked what Ron Paul had to say (and there's a good deal of Internet money and energy that did like Dr. Paul), then you'll like Chuck Baldwin. Baldwin seems to be a younger Ron Paul with a more palatable voice.

There's more to be learned, for sure, and I'm not endorsing Chuck Baldwin today. There are still many questions that need to be answered. But I am intrigued, folks, in this Baptist from Pensacola. Quite so.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?