Thursday, December 20, 2007

 

Overview of NICS Bill Sent to President Bush

I was planning on summarizing the bill passed by Congress this week that addresses issues with the National Instant Check System (NICS), as well as those who have had mental health adjudications and their ability to purchase firearms.

However, Say Uncle beat me to it, so I'll save time and link to his excellent round-up of reactions.

I think the bill is good for gun owners. It was supported by the NRA, and there are several positive aspects of the bill. Even the part that the Brady Campaign and VPC wanted (regarding the mental health adjudications that wouldn't have stopped what happened at Virginia Tech, no matter how you slice it), in my opinion, is something that many in the NRA were not opposed to for several years now.

Looking at it that way, we gave up nothing to gain several positive things. Not bad.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?