Monday, March 26, 2007

 

Feminist: Embrace Motherhood if You Feel You Should

An interesting article ran in the New York Times a week ago, but I didn't read it until this weekend. It's about Rebecca Walker, the daughter of Alice Walker of "The Color Purple" fame, and how she became a symbol of feminism but has flourished as a mother. Walker has even written a book about her views and experiences entitled "Baby Love: Choosing Motherhood After a Lifetime of Ambivalence."

Walker told the Times:

“I keep telling these women in college, ‘You need to plan having a baby like you plan your career if it’s something that you want,’ ” she said. “Because we haven’t been told that, this generation. And they’re shocked when I say that. I’m supposed to be like this feminist telling them, ‘Go achieve, go achieve.’ And I’m sitting there saying, ‘For me, having a baby has been the most transformational experience of my life.’ ”

It's an intriguing article, and I imagine that the book would be similarly stimulating. Perhaps it will make it on to my endless (or so it seems) reading list.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?