Monday, January 08, 2007

 

Kudos to Oatney

If you have some time, take a listen to David Oatney's outstanding interview of House Minority Leader Jason Mumpower. It's far superior to anything I have read or heard from the mainstream media since Mumpower's rise to power.

As A.C. points out, David has more than just a mild talent for radio interviews. If David had the morning spot on WNOX, I would consider going back to local radio and giving up my new Sirius receiver (for the morning, at least).

A few notes:

- Mumpower doesn't believe that he ran against Bill Dunn for House Minority Leader. Now that's some spin...
- Mumpower doesn't read blogs. Perhaps Stacey Campfield can work on that.
- Mumpower says that he hasn't talked to any bloggers other than Campfield. Uh, well, I've talked to Mumpower. In 2006, in fact. In our own home county (Sullivan). Maybe I wasn't memorable enough.
- Mumpower all but admits that he is a pragmatist on issues. That pretty much backs up a great deal of the criticism that has been lobbed at Mumpower throughout his career.
- Mumpower pushes the idea of passing a separate educational budget prior to the regular budget. On that, I think that Rep. Mumpower has found a valuable tool in combating Governor Bredesen's out-of-control spending, and I support him in this procedural maneuver.
- Mumpower's answers to the gun rights' questions by Oatney were a bit light on the details, if you know what I mean. I thought Oatney's question was straight forward. Mumpower responded by giving his NRA rating. That's not what David asked.
- Mumpower is all for "Blog Day" on the Hill, but there is no mistaking that he is anti-blog and doesn't trust bloggers as far as he could throw one. There's no real problem with that; it's just there.

Excellent work by David Oatney - a wonderful example of how to conduct an interview and share it with the masses.

Labels:


Comments:
Rob;
In fairness, he didn't say that he had talked to no bloggers, he said that of the list I had sent him, he had only spoken to one and that was for a few minutes...

Perhaps he was speaking of you?

By the way, I am glad you enjoyed the interview.
 
Dave -

I could be wrong here, but I believe that Mumpower said that he had spoken to only one of the bloggers that you listed and that was a couple of years ago. I assumed he meant Hobbs or Abramson.

Did I misunderstand Mumpower? I believe that his statement was in the last 1/3 of the interview.

Cheers,

Rob
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?