Monday, January 08, 2007


Kudos to Oatney

If you have some time, take a listen to David Oatney's outstanding interview of House Minority Leader Jason Mumpower. It's far superior to anything I have read or heard from the mainstream media since Mumpower's rise to power.

As A.C. points out, David has more than just a mild talent for radio interviews. If David had the morning spot on WNOX, I would consider going back to local radio and giving up my new Sirius receiver (for the morning, at least).

A few notes:

- Mumpower doesn't believe that he ran against Bill Dunn for House Minority Leader. Now that's some spin...
- Mumpower doesn't read blogs. Perhaps Stacey Campfield can work on that.
- Mumpower says that he hasn't talked to any bloggers other than Campfield. Uh, well, I've talked to Mumpower. In 2006, in fact. In our own home county (Sullivan). Maybe I wasn't memorable enough.
- Mumpower all but admits that he is a pragmatist on issues. That pretty much backs up a great deal of the criticism that has been lobbed at Mumpower throughout his career.
- Mumpower pushes the idea of passing a separate educational budget prior to the regular budget. On that, I think that Rep. Mumpower has found a valuable tool in combating Governor Bredesen's out-of-control spending, and I support him in this procedural maneuver.
- Mumpower's answers to the gun rights' questions by Oatney were a bit light on the details, if you know what I mean. I thought Oatney's question was straight forward. Mumpower responded by giving his NRA rating. That's not what David asked.
- Mumpower is all for "Blog Day" on the Hill, but there is no mistaking that he is anti-blog and doesn't trust bloggers as far as he could throw one. There's no real problem with that; it's just there.

Excellent work by David Oatney - a wonderful example of how to conduct an interview and share it with the masses.


In fairness, he didn't say that he had talked to no bloggers, he said that of the list I had sent him, he had only spoken to one and that was for a few minutes...

Perhaps he was speaking of you?

By the way, I am glad you enjoyed the interview.
Dave -

I could be wrong here, but I believe that Mumpower said that he had spoken to only one of the bloggers that you listed and that was a couple of years ago. I assumed he meant Hobbs or Abramson.

Did I misunderstand Mumpower? I believe that his statement was in the last 1/3 of the interview.


Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?