Tuesday, March 28, 2006

 

Campfield, Krumm Look to Expose Corruption in Nashville

Bob Krumm has an excellent post that refers to Representative Stacey Campfield's account of shenanigans in a House committee.

That's one reason I love the idea of Krumm in the General Assembly, and, while I sometimes have trouble following his posts, Stacey Campfield is one of the best things that has happened to the State House in years. (I would have to lump Frank Niceley in that group, as well.)

They are intent at pulling back the curtain, showing citizens what is really going on with their government. And that's what this is all about - exposing the truth from those who work to hide it. Now some will say that there is no truth - MANY people in politics would subscribe to that belief - but such adherence to relativism is a falsity. Maybe it is the scientist in me that makes this so easy to distill, but there are facts in this world. These facts are beyond argument, and they are easily separated from opinions.

If a vote was taken with only 10 people in the room and there was no process that allowed voting by proxy, it isn't possible for 12 votes to be cast. If a person said something and it was recorded on a non-doctored tape, then it can be proved that those statements were made by that person. If a person sat at a table or wore a certain dress or shook a person's hand, then those things happened. They didn't happen in degrees - they happened.

This isn't to say that there aren't opinions out there or that spin doesn't occur. It most certainly does. However, it is this person's opinion that such spinning is only done to hide the truth, and, therefore, it is this person's opinion that spin does not accomplish any public service. When a set of statistics is manipulated to the point it is meaningless for the sake of rescuing a candidate's recessive campaign, for example, what good is done?

I applaud Bob Krumm and Stacey Campfield for their efforts. I love Bob's quote of Scripture, but since I am a King James man myself:

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." (John 3:19-21)

Comments:
Stacey is doing a wonderful job-I just hope he runs for re-election. If he does not, it would be a tremendous loss to the people of East Tennessee
 
Dave -

From reading Stacey's remarks last week in the KNS, I think he'll run for re-election.

Cheers,

Rob
 
Yet another reason why I don't do scripture: too many different translations.

All that "doeth" and "lest" stuff in KJV just loses me. They might as well just write it in the original Greek as to write it like that.

But, hey, if it works for you, it's fine by me.
 
Bob -

Well, I think the NIV has pretty much surpassed the KJV in the past decade. I know that's what my pastor uses at Immanuel Baptist Church.

I love the KJV, though, because of the flowery language. It's what I grew up with, so I probably am too old for change.

Cheers,

Rob
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?