Wednesday, February 01, 2006

 

UT National Signing Day - Post 9

More Letters of Intent have made their way to The Hill. Below are more of the new Vols.

UT Commitment #9 - Blake Garretson



I have been dreading the capsule of Blake Garretson, a 6'3", 277 pound defensive lineman/offensive lineman out of Morristown East High School. Garretson is thrilled to be coming to UT.

"It's a dream come true, that's really all that I can say about it. I gave coach Fulmer my commitment late last week, and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm a local boy who's always loved Tennessee and me and family had always hoped that I'd have this opportunity."

And that's what makes this tough. I've watched Garretson's film, and I'm not impressed. I was somewhat impressed that someone his size played a good deal at MLB, but he wasn't really that great with his hand on the ground on either side of the ball. His tackling technique also needs work. He certainly won't be playing LB at Tennessee, so I am confused as to what Tennessee plans to do with Blake.

I love that he wants to be here. I love his enthusiasm and his work ethic. I just fear that he's over his head talentwise.

UT Commitment #10 - Jarrod Shaw



This is one of the most intriguing prospects in UT's 2006 class. Jarrod Shaw is one of the top prospects in Louisiana, a 6'4", 344 pound giant DT with decent speed (5.12 40 time) and quickness (one of the top shuttle times amongst defensive tackles at a Nike camp). He isn't rated very highly by Rivals (#63 DT), but you have to love his upside. Shaw has a 22 inch vertical leap, and he can bench his weight. Plus (and you have to love this), Jarrod carried a 3.94 GPA in high school.

I really like what I see on film from Shaw. He fights off blockers quickly with his hands and stonewalls double teams easily. Coach Trooper Taylor, who was the primary contact in recruiting Shaw, obviously liked what he saw from Shaw, but what did Shaw like about UT?

"I really liked Knoxville. It is a good town. The players are really cool and I like the coaches, especially Coach Trooper."

Shaw wants his weight down to 310 by the time he arrives in Knoxville for summer school. He needs to work on his conditioning (he often looked winded on film), and the loss of weight would certainly help that.

More to come...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?