Friday, January 13, 2006

 

More on Tennessee in 2006

Jeff Ward at TeamGOP posted this a few hours after my Wednesday rant about our lack of a gubernatorial candidate. Jeff's article points to a combination of big money and bad timing as the problem, which I acknowledge, although I have to feel that having people in high positions that aren't interested in winning every race (which Jeff rightly points to) as the central cause of our problems.

I have received several e-mails regarding the Wednesday rant, most of which have confirmed that we will not be running anyone against Bredesen. A few others have said that I got it wrong, that squishy candidates are to blame because they won't stand on their record (Corker) or won't finish what they started (Hilleary). That's certainly one way to look at it, but as a guy who wrote a term paper in a UT graduate political science course subscribing to "elite theory" as our form of government, that isn't a leap that I am ready to make.

Comments:
As you have probably read by now, I also wrote an angry rant about this yesterday.

The idea that elites govern both parties isn't lost on me. I have been involved in grass-roots politics for quite a few years now, since college and before, and I long ago learned that the governing structures of both political parties are interested in attaining power...principles take a back seat to what is best for the "party" in many cases.

I am a Republican because I have certain principles, however. I believe that the 'net gives us a wonderful opportunity to make our voices heard and to take our party back.

After all, no political party can afford to lose its base.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?