Friday, December 16, 2005

 

Churches Closed on Christmas

Blogs and MSM sources alike have been discussing the decision by many churches to not have Christmas morning services. One of the better columns criticizing those churches comes from Jeff Adams, who has many good points in defense of services next Sunday morning. I'm not sure I am for placating the Easter-and-Christmas-Only crowd, as Jeff seems to be, but I still see where he is coming from.

Surprisingly, I don't have a strong opinion on this one. Yes, I do feel that churches should provide the option to attend that morning, as they should every Sunday morning. As a Deacon of Immanuel Baptist Church, I supported the resolution to keep our doors open on Christmas morning (although we have changed the start time to 10:00 A.M. and cancelled Sunday School classes for that morning). However, my personal attendance is another matter. Because of having to travel Christmas morning, I will more than likely attend a Christmas Eve candlelight service and have that be it (besides traditional readings from "The Bible" on Christmas morning). I can't - in good conscience - criticize others for not attending a service that I more than likely will not attend either. So, my position seems to be that I will not hold it against others who don't attend Christmas morning services, but I am a bit perplexed as to why a church wouldn't hold services on that morning - especially on that morning. The option should be there for all - believers and those who may be lead to believe.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?