Wednesday, September 07, 2005

 

Living out a fantasy

I posted earlier that the 8th Annual Confederate Football League fantasy football draft had occurred this past Sunday afternoon. I have won the league for seven seasons, and I have no plans of relinquishing the as unnamed Cup (our version of the Lombardi Trophy) this year. My team – Lords of Rocky Top - (in the order drafted) is as follows:

RB Priest Holmes
RB Jamal Lewis
WR Terrell Owens
QB Mark Bulger
WR Michael Clayton
WR Isaac Bruce
TE Dallas Clark
RB DaShaun Foster
QB Matt Hasselbeck
DEF Chicago Bears
K Sebastian Janikowski
DEF Carolina Panthers
WR Donte Stallworth
WR Peerless Price
RB Thomas Jones

I’m pretty happy with that team, especially with the two Top 5 running backs. I do feel bad, though, that I sold my soul by taking the best player left on the board in the 3rd round, the exceptional crybaby egomaniac Terrell Owens. I tend to make all draft decisions based on talent, upside, schedule, contract status, and bye weeks, but I also refuse to take players that I can’t cheer for. That usually means no members of the Falcons, Eagles, and Steelers, all teams that I have no love for, but it especially means that I try to pick players that are good guys, like Trent Green, Daunte Culpepper, Donald Driver, Warrick Dunn, and Peyton Manning. TO does not fit that mould. In fact, I dislike the guy greatly. However, there was no doubt that TO was the best player available at the 25th pick, and I needed a wide receiver. I guess the same argument could be made with Janikowski, as well, given his reported drug problems. I guess my competitive drive clouded my better judgment.

I'll have some more on the league as the season progresses. It was suggested during the draft that I should have been live-blogging the event, which I had thought of. However, I didn't want to be distracted from the task at hand – winning.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?