Wednesday, February 01, 2006

 

UT National Signing Day - Post 4

As a mid-term enrollee, Walter Fisher signed his Letter of Intent (LOI) over a month ago. However, he still counts as a member of the Recruiting Class of 2006, so it is only fair to profile him here.

UT Commitment #1 - Walter Fisher



Walter Fisher originally committed to UT with little fanfare in February of 2004 as a 2-star defensive lineman from Hillsboro High School in Nashville. However, academics were a concern, so Fisher was placed at Coffeyville Community College in Kansas in order to qualify at Tennessee. Fisher never wavered on his commitment to UT, and it now looks as if the work that Fisher has put in and the commitment that Tennessee showed to Fisher's development is going to pay off.

Rivals has Fisher rated as the #2 junior college player in the country, and the video of Fisher from this past season at Coffeyville more than bares that out. Fisher, who plays DE and weighs in at 6'2", 265 pounds, sports a 4.7 40-yard time. Physically, his maturation is astounding because he doesn't look anything like the raw player that he was 2 years ago. As an added bonus, Fisher did not play in any games for Coffeyville his first year there, so he has 3 years of eligibility left at Tennessee. One has to like his eagerness to start the ball rolling at UT:

"I'm just heading up there to try and get on the field, that's all I want do. I'm fired up about the chance to play, but I don't expect for anything to be given to me. I'm glad that I'm going to be there this winter, so I can get in the weight room and get ready for spring practice. Actually, I feel like I have a lot to prove. I've heard that junior-college guys are sort like underdogs or whatever. I think it will be up to me to show people that I belong."

Fisher, like 2004 junior college signee Albert Toenia, will need some technical work if he is to be a force at DE. Interestingly, Fisher would like a chance to prove to Coach Chavis that he can line up at LB.

"(My play at defensive end) is coming, I'm definitely getting better, but man, I wish they could see what I could do standing up."

Fisher is a welcome addition to the UT roster, even with the pressure that accompanies his #2 ranking and 5-star rating by Rivals. Barring a huge surprise today, he is the highest rated player of Tennessee's 2006 Class.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?